Or do they? If you are struggling with co-workers, maybe it is simply you don’t appreciate the value they bring to the team. After a workshop that had a personality profile assessment, I quit being so frustrated with a colleague. The reason was, I began to understand that we processed information quite differently. When I saw him coming, I would take a deep breath and exhale slowly. He did have value. He just had a different perspective than I did. We had different responsibilities, but our paths had to cross.
The next time you want to wring the new of a co-worker, ask yourself a few key questions and then talk yourself off that ledge!
- Are they looking at the big picture and I’m looking at the minutia? Or vice versa?
- Am I too focused on perfection?
- Sometimes, is good enough really good enough?
- If they share more detail than I like, could I benefit from that additional information?
- Can we sit down and hash out a more effective way to communicate since sharing information is critical?
We need to treat each other with more respect. That process starts with you and me, not them. Make a commitment to take a moment to see their side of the conversation and show them the respect they deserve!